Monday, September 6, 2010

Match #26 Nov. 24, 1983, Starrcade, Harley Race vs. Ric Flair, NWA World Heavyweight Championship (Steel Cage)

I'm probably going to ruffle some feathers here, but even though this is a historical match, in terms of history, I just cannot get into this match. I mean, it's not a bad match, but every time I watch it, I just can't find a way to really enjoy it. I really do not even know why.

You've probably seen numerous highlights of this match, but in case you have not, here is the low down. Race takes the title in controversial fashion, Race then puts a $25,000 bounty on Flair so he will not have to face him again. None of that works and we get this rematch inside a steel cage at Starrcade '83, with Gene Kininski as the special referee.

The match is more of a fight than a wrestling match. They just lay into one another, with both wrestlers getting bloodied. Of course if you've seen this before, you know the finish comes with a crossbody off the top rope by Flair to get the pinfall.

My Grade: C
Just something about this match is off for me.

1 comment: